Assessment and treatment of communication problems and speech disorders are called Speech therapy. It is performed by a speech therapist or Speech Language Pathologist (SPL) who are trained professionals with Doctorate or Master’s degrees. This therapy is mostly used to improve communication, commonly with children and also adults.
One such adult speech therapy service provider is Eastside Speech Solution who is located in the Eastern Suburbs of Sydney. They offer a wide range of therapy to aid with literacy, aphasia, difficulties speaking sounds rightly, language disorder or delay, stuttering, accent modification and reduction as well as working with communication impairment due to various reasons.
Various speech and language disorders which can be treated by speech therapy are:
- Articulation disorder: In articulation disorder, a person has an incapability to form some word sound. They may swap, distort, drop or add word sound.
- Fluency Disorder: In fluency disorder, the flow, rhythm, and speed of the speech are affected. Cluttering and stuttering are fluency disorders.
- Dysarthria: In dysarthria, due to weakness or inability to control muscle used for a speech there is a slow or slurred speech. Usually, it happens due to nervous system disorder to facial paralysis.
- Aphasia: In aphasia, the person’s ability to read, write, speak and understand others is affected. It happens commonly due to stroke.
- Expressive Disorder: In an expressive disorder, a person has difficulty in expressing or conveying information and trouble in creating accurate sentences. It is a development impairment however it can also happen due to head trauma or medical condition.
- Cognitive-communication disorder: In this disorder, the part of the brain which is responsible for thinking is injured which causes difficulty in communication. It usually happens due to biological reasons.
Depending on age, child disorder and needs speech therapy for a child can take place in a classroom, small group or a one-on-one session. Activities and exercise are also decided by the therapist by assessing the disorder of the child.
There are many kinds of activities a therapist does in the therapy such as using books, interact by playing and talking, using pictures and other objects, during child appropriate play teach the child how to make some sounds, share strategies and homework for the parent or caregiver and child on how to continue therapy at home.
Speech therapy for adults starts with assessing the needs and determines the best treatment. Speech therapy exercise in adults helps in speech cognitive-communication, retraining the swallowing function and language.
There are various kinds of exercises that a therapist does in the therapy such as breathing exercises for resonance, memory, and organization, exercise to strengthen oral muscles, conversational strategies to refine social communication, problem-solving and other activities dedicated to improving cognitive-communication.
The time frame of the therapy depends on various factors such as age, frequency of therapy, type and severity of the disorder and underlying medical condition and its treatment. With some prior involvement, speech therapy can refine communication and increase confidence.